Emergency Health response for vulnerable populations affected by conflict in Eastern DR Congo
The population in the targeted areas of North Kivu remains highly vulnerable as a consequence of a long-standing and complex crisis. Communities are subject to abuses carried out by various armed actors, aggravating their already poor health status, attributed to a lack of quality health services, poor sanitation and insufficient water supply. The tense political and security situation in eastern DRC generates little hope for improved living conditions for people affected by conflict.
Repubblica democratica Congo
Assistenza umanitaria & RRC
Assistenza sanitaria primaria
- Access to critical health services is improved for IDPs, recent returnees and host communities.
- Quality of critical health services is improved for IDPs, recent returnees and host communities.
- 5 fixed health facilities (HF) are supported in provision of critical primary health care services through provision of supervisory staff, essential drugs/medical supplies, and support to operational costs;
- Health and hygiene behavior change is promoted;
- WASH facilities in HF are rehabilitated ;
- HF are supported in delivery of ANC services;
- HF are supported in proper medical management of cases of SGBV;
- HF are supported in management of integrated CMAM programming;
- Messaging of infant and young child feeding is reinforced;
- A surveillance system is set up to notify of outbreak alerts, and multisectoral assessments are conducted;
- Mobile health teams are set up for rapid response to health emergencies;
- River crossings/bridges/black spots are rehabilitated to secure access to HF.
- 99% of children (age <5yrs) in target areas received all antigens (target 100%);
- 81% of children under five attending health facilities diagnosed and treated as per IMCI protocols (target 80%);
- 636 women gave birth monitored by skilled staff (target 714);
- 96 SGBV victims receiving assistance in less than 72 hours (target 192);
- 100% of supported health facilities with demonstrated quality improvement by the end of the project (target 90%);
- 34’008 new consultations (target 36’700).
- 3 out of 6 targets were reached. High levels of population movement and ongoing security issues led to difficulties in reaching all targets.
Despite small improvements in stability and security in eastern DRC, the situation in general has seen little improvement. The population lacks protection in the face of a multitude of armed groups and human rights are regularly violated. The security situation in North Kivu has deteriorated over the last year and currently there is little hope that this will change any time soon. Access challenges, frequent insecurity and displacement, together with chronically poor health indicators all contribute to excess morbidity and mortality for a highly vulnerable population in a complex context.
This project aims to remove barriers to essential primary health care and increase the quality of health services provided in order to contribute to the reduction of excess morbidity and mortality in volatile and hard to reach areas of Walikale and Masisi Territories (North Kivu, DRC).
Populations affected by displacement (including IDPs, recent returnees, and host populations) in the catchment area of 5 fixed health facilities in Kibua and Masisi Health Zones (North Kivu, DRC) and other unsupported health facilities during population movements/IDP influx or emergency responses to outbreaks.
Total number of direct beneficiaries (catchment area): 38’500
Total of indirect beneficiaries (surveillance area): 112’785
|Effetti a medio termine||
Risultati principali attesi:
Risultati fasi precedenti:
|Partner del progetto||
Organizzazione svizzera senza scopo di lucro
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||
MoH (Ministry of Health), Save the Children (SDC supported project), International Medical Corps, OCHA and health cluster, and UNICEF through RRMP.
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 641'000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 605'277 Progetto totale dalla prima fase Budget Svizzera CHF 1'313'000 Budget inclusi partner del progetto CHF 1'954'000|
|Fasi del progetto||
Fase 4 20.06.2016 - 19.06.2017 (Completed)Fase 3 01.04.2015 - 31.05.2016 (Completed) Fase 2 01.02.2014 - 31.01.2015 (Completed)