You wish to report your divorce.
Foreign decisions on divorce or legal separation are normally recognised in Switzerland when handed down in the country of domicile or of habitual residence, or the state of nationality of one of the spouses, or if recognised in one of these countries (Federal Act on Private International Law (SR 291)).
To register a divorce pronounced abroad in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar), the originals of the following documents must be as a rule submitted to the Swiss representation with any necessary legalisation for forwarding to Switzerland:
- divorce decree with the date on which it takes effect
- decision concerning the parental authority of any children of the couple with the date when it takes effect
- where applicable, changes of address of the divorced couple
These documents are intended to the competent civil status authority and will not be returned.
Divorce – Information sheet
Please hand in documents listed in the information and a form sheet to the Embassy of Switzerland in Seoul.
Divorce in Switzerland
In the case of a divorce pronounced in Switzerland, persons registered with a Swiss representation abroad are under an obligation to report the change of civil status. This requires submitting the following documents (as hard copy or in electronic form) so that the register of the Swiss abroad can be updated:
- photocopy of the divorce decree with the date on which it takes effect
- photocopy of the decision concerning the parental authority of any children of the couple with the date when it takes effect
- Where applicable changes of address of the divorced couple
There is no fee for the registration in question.