Contribution to the Cotton Reform Multi-Donors Trust Fund of the World Bank in Uzbekistan
The World Bank led multi-donor trust fund will contribute to a sustainable cotton reform by thoroughly monitoring child and forced labour during cotton harvest, building the capacities of relevant authorities in terms of international standards and legislaion, raising awareness of the population and the stakeholders' groups involved in cotton picking. This will feed into policy dialogue with the Government and eventually eradicate this harmful practice for the rural population.
Agricoltura e sicurezza alimentare
Diritti dell'uomo (diritti delle donne inclusi)
Politica del settore pubblico
- Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources (MAWR)
- Ministry of Labour and Social Issues
- Farmers and farmers associations
- Hokimyats (local authorities)
- The capacity of farmers, local authorities, and trading firms for socially, environmentally, and financially sustainable cotton production as measured by the norms of the Better Cotton Initiative is improved
- No systematic practices of child and forced labour, and increased sensitivity to the issues of child and forced labour in the areas covered by the existing WB-financed projects
- Awareness is raised in specific areas on legal and policy requirements with respect to child and forced labour and access to domestic feed-back mechanisms
- Other WB
Cotton is still the main crop in Uzbekistan and produced according to quotas set by the State. In order to fulfil these quotas, farmers are accepting additional workers who are sent by force by the government from ministries, schools, hospitals and private enterprises to increase the labour force. Child labour is now legally forbidden and in practice has been drastically reduced. WB and ADB have been approached by international civil society organisations asking for a stricter monitoring of these issues in their projects and for more action to promote international standards and prevent human rights violations.
The Multi Donor Trust Fund (MTDF) will support activities leading to socially, environmentally, and economically sustainable production of cotton in Uzbekistan, including with respect to child and forced labour practices.
|Effetti a medio termine||
Cooperazione con l'Europa dell'Est
|Partner del progetto||
Istituzione finanziaria internazionale
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 1'015'000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 1'015'000|
|Fasi del progetto||Fase 1 01.09.2015 - 30.09.2020 (Fase in corso)|