Market Alliances for Rural Development
A majority of rural inhabitants in Georgia rely on incomes from agriculture and the use of natural resources. The project where Switzerland contributes will strengthen their access to markets (sale, inputs). It will enable rural producers to enhance the quality and scale of production, improve resilience to changing climate, and access domestic and export markets, which will contribute to raising incomes, increasing inclusion and the quality of the living environment in rural areas.
Empleo y desarrollo económico
- National State Institute North
- Other international or foreign NGO North
Sector según clasificación del comité de ayuda al desarrollo de la OCDE OTHER MULTISECTOR
Sub-Sector según clasificación del comité de ayuda al desarrollo de la OCDEDesarrollo rural
Tipo de ayuda Mandato sin fondos fiduciarios
Contribución a proyectos y programas
Número de proyecto
Agriculture and natural resource use is central to the rural economy and employment in Georgia. Sustainable use of natural resources in dairy, meat, wool, beekeeping, sericulture, rural tourism and wild botanicals (fruits, herbs, cones) is important for the economic development and food security of rural households. It can also stimulate export within the South Caucasus region and beyond. This will enhance market linkages of rural producers in Georgia with businesses engaged in cross-border trade with Armenia and Azerbaijan.
The new ALCP2 is a proposition from Mercy Corps for a co-financed single phase project of four years, benefitting of established processes and results and bringing additional scale to beneficiaries.
|Objetivos||Income increased and livelihoods improved for rural producers due to better, sustainable productivity, resilient market access, local employment opportunities and more equitable inclusion in local natural resource management and use.|
• 40’000 male and female rural producers and inhabitants in Georgia, who are at least partially dependent on livestock, honey, wild botanicals and other produce from natural resources as main sources of income will be the end beneficiaries of the project.
• National suppliers of inputs, technologies, information and training to rural producers, including MSMEs, who provide access to markets for rural producers of agricultural and natural resourcebased products. These suppliers and buyers will form direct beneficiaries of the project.
|Efectos a medio plazo||
1. Rural producers increase profitability and sustainability due to access to target services and inputs.
2. Sustainable and diversified micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) provide more reliable, valueadded market access to rural producers.
3. Local institutions provide improved access to more equitable local decision making and agency over natural resource use for rural producers.
• Facilitated access to tailored agriinformation and skills for rural producers and rural MSMEs.
• Facilitated access to affordable climate smart sustainable technologies and production systems for rural producers and MSMEs.
• Increased sustainability, selfrepresentation, empowerment and advocacy for equitable terms of trade by rural producer member associations.
• Increased value addition to rural products through enhanced image and promotion of Georgian regions, local and national products.
• Increased volume and value added production of diversified rural products for national (including rural tourism and mainstream tourism markets), regional and global markets.
• Increased informed, equitable participation in local natural resource use initiatives.
Resultados de las fases anteriores:
Results of the preceding project, ALCP Phase 3:
- Incomes of over 54’500 farmers (64% women) increased;
- 62 entities expanded their business;
- 445 jobs were created (238 for women).
- CHF 19.9 million additional income generated by project beneficiaries.
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
ONG internacional o extranjera
Institución estatal extrangera
|Coordinación con otros proyectos y actores||Synergies exist with the Swiss funded projects for increasing rural producers’ access to finance, for including good practices in the vocational education programs, for enhancing animal health control, as well as cross-border trade.|
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 8’100’000 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 1’000’000 Total del proyecto desde la primera fase Presupuesto inclusive contrapartes del proyecto CHF 6’500’000|