Joint Peace Fund
After 60 years of conflict, the government and 8 Ethnic Armed Groups have signed a National Ceasefire Agreement (NCA) in October 2015, opening up a unique opportunity to find lasting peace. The Joint Peace Fund is a multi-donor fund set up to channel coordinated international support for such efforts, including the implementation of the NCA and following political dialogue of the peace process, a requirement for development especially in border areas.
Conflito y fragilidad
Prevención de los conflictos
- Support to institutions, process and activities that form the core architecture of the NCA and/or other peace instrument(s) that may be negotiated in the future. This may include efforts that promote broad-based inclusion of Ethnic Armed Organisations in the peace process.
- Peacebuilding support, responding to demands emerging mainly from the sub-state and community levels. The Fund should support initiatives that increase trust, confidence, engagement and participation in the peace process and/or enhance safety and security at the community level.
- Applied research that strengthens stakeholder understanding of peace and conflict dynamics and issues relate to the implementation of the peace process.
- A High Level Committee, comprising the national stakeholders and international donors, responsible for the overall strategic direction and oversight of the Fund.
- A Fund Board, made up of donors, with responsibility for decision-making on project submissions and resource allocations
- State-level Working Committees, serving as advisory bodies at the sub-national level.
- Other UN Organisation
The Joint Peace Fund has been established in December 2015 under the guidance of the donor Peace Support Group, currently chaired by Switzerland. It aims at channelling coordinated international support for national efforts to achieve a final and lasting settlement of ethnic armed conflict in Myanmar. The main programme areas anticipated are:
The Joint Peace Fund will have a three-tiered governance structure:
Support to the Joint Peace Fund is line with the Swiss Cooperation Strategy for Myanmar 2013-2017, under domain IV: Peace, democratisation and protection. It is also in line with SDC’s focus on fragility and conflict transformation.
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
Cooperación al desarrollo
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
Organización de las Naciones Unidas (ONU)
|Estimated operational start of intervention||
Phase 1: 2016-2020 (with inception phase)
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 6'180'000 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 0|
|Fases del proyecto||Fase 99 01.01.2021 - 31.12.2027 (Fase en curso) Fase 1 01.04.2016 - 31.12.2021 (Fase en curso)|