Institutional Strengthening of IGAD
The Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) is a sub-regional organization in the Horn of Africa. In line with Switzerland’s decision to increase its engagement with IGAD, the proposed contribution aims at strengthening the organization institutionally based on its political legitimacy, thematic relevance and capacity to contribute to peace and development in one of the world’s most fragile regions.
Cuerno de África
Agricultura y seguridad alimentaria
Migración en general (aspectos de desarrollo y partenariados)
Performance of IGAD substantially enhanced.
Interactions btw IGAD & Member States improved.
Interactions btw IGAD & donors improved.
- Interactions btw IGAD & other stakeholders improved
- Fill gaps in IPSAS implementation;
- Gender-balance IGAD Strategy 2016–20;
- Strengthen service functions such as human resources, accounting and procurement;
- Creation of Committee of Directors to improve management functions;
- Creation of Committees of Eminent People to ease programme implementation in MSs;
- Continuation of dialogue within ICG;
- Strengthening ties with business, civil society organizations, universities & research bodies.
- Drafting of sector policies, IGAD Strategy 2016–20, Communication Strategy;
- Staff training in Results Based Management;
- Strengthening of the Gender Unit;
- Governance mechanisms for IDDRSI;
- Dialogue fora in line with Paris Declaration;
- Grant facility to support civil society;
- Agreements with research bodies in drylands;
- External audit, self-assessment and ISAP I-II review to feed into ISAP III.
- Other OI
IGAD is an 8-country, sub-regional organization established in 1996. It covers a population of circa 200 million and includes states from the Horn of Africa, the Nile Valley and the Great Lakes. It is one of 8 subsidiary regional economic communities (RECs) of the African Union whose vision is to achieve peace, prosperity and sustainable development in the region through regional cooperation and integration.
IGAD is relevant for Switzerland as it is the only REC working on all themes and in all target areas of the Swiss Cooperation Strategy Horn of Africa. It is a strategic venue to influence policy making, with good regional ownership and legitimacy based on its good results despite the region’s volatility.
Yet, IGAD suffers from severe weaknesses. For years, the donors–IGAD relationship has lacked coherence and a commonality of purpose, with IGAD receiving project-focused support rather than integrated programming. Against this backdrop, an Institutional Strengthening Action Programme (ISAP) was launched out of a shared understanding between IGAD and a small donor group of the need for capacity building.
Switzerland joined the ISAP Coordination Group (ICG) in 2014 as core member in order to influence the structuration of ISAP’s 3rd phase as a coherent support programme uniting all donors under one roof. This decision was based on the growing number of Swiss Government entities having initiated projects with IGAD in recent years. Accordingly, a multi-year allocation to the ISAP III pool fund is now proposed.
The overarching goal of ISAP III is to strengthen IGAD’s capacity to deliver on its mandate of peace, prosperity and regional integration. Better institutional capacity will allow the Secretariat and Specialized Institutions to interact more coherently, effectively and efficiently with Member States, donors and other Stakeholders, in a results-oriented manner.
Primary: IGAD Secretariat + IGAD Specialized Institutions.
Secondary: IGAD Member States + IGAD donors + Other Stakeholders.
|Efectos a medio plazo||
Resultados de las fases anteriores:
No former SDC phase. Key results of ISAP I-II:
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
Cooperación al desarrollo
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
Otra organización internacional
Bilateral: Denmark, Norway, Finland, GIZ, USAID.
Multilateral: DG-DEVCO, AfDB, WB, UNDP.
|Coordinación con otros proyectos y actores||
All Swiss-funded interventions with IGAD.
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 2'600'000 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 2'035'327|