Promoting Inclusive Peacebuilding and Sustainable Livelihoods through Youth Empowerment and Entrepreneurship.
South Sudan finds itself in lasting state of fragility and chronic conflict that has impacted the social fabric of its population. The project will address deeply rooted social aspects of conflict by training and supporting young peacemakers to engage in conflict resolution and community dialogues. Combined with the promotion of youth-led businesses, the project intends to reduce the risk of the youth entering cycles of despairs and violence. Thereby, it contribute to sustainable development and a longer-term stability in South Sudan.
Sudan del Sud
Conflitto & fragilitá
Impiego & sviluppo economico
Prevenzione dei conflitti
Supporto commerciale & inclusione economica
- Pupils, students and young men and women from the payams of CES, Western Equatoria State (WES) and Eastern Equatoria State (EES).
- Communities in the Equatorias as a whole.
- Communities and local authorities have more exchanges, mediate conflicts and promote peace and human rights
- Youth gain autonomy, social recognition and professional experience – and demonstrate that youth is a resource for positive change.
- Youth have increased access to job opportunities and are less inclined to join armed groups or gangs.
- Communities are sensitized to values of peace, dialogue and tolerance through activities with pupils in schools and the training for youth in mediation and conflict resolution
- Youth are provided with community learning centers and supported in gaining business skills – and backed to develop businesses of their own
- Opportunities for civic engagement and for income generating activities are created
- Other international or foreign NGO North
|Contesto||With more than 70% of its population composed of youth, a major challenge for South Sudan is to address their needs and aspirations, to prevent them from entering cycles of despair and violence. In addition to the problems deriving directly from the conflict – youth are faced with a number of social and cultural challenges that prevent them to fully deploy their potential as key stakeholders of the nation. In a country awash with weapons and few economic opportunities, stealing cows is often the only way for young men to pay the dowry enabling them to marry.|
The overall goal of the programme is the improvement of the conditions for lasting peace, sustainable development and resilience through the dissemination of values, attitudes and behaviours conducive to dialogue and mutual respect as well as the creation of income-generating opportunities.
|Effetti a medio termine||
Risultati principali attesi:
Risultati fasi precedenti:
This is a single phase without previous support by Switzerland. WDPI has been present in South Sudan since 2014. Some of their key achievement so far include:
486 young entrepreneurs supported and empowered, 800 students taken through conflict resolution programmes in schools, 11 community learning centres, serving 115’000 people with 23’000 having obtained certified training.
Cooperazione allo sviluppo
|Partner del progetto||
ONG internazionale o straniera
Ericsson, Zain, IKEA foundation, USAID, Gemeni enterprises Africa, Education Above All and UNESCO.
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 600'000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 326'450|