Note: the texts under all the headings, with the exception of 'Results achieved', describe the situation before the start of the project.
Civil Society Fund Block Grant
The project aims to promote civil society’s involvement in social and environmental sectors as an important development actor and strengthen the civil society in Bulgaria.
- The main objectives of the Block Grant are:To enhance CSO's organizational capacity in pursuing their missions and activities by delivering quality services, particularly in disadvantaged regions
- To strengthen abilities of CSOs and their networks to communicate with citizens and mobilise civic support
- To improve advocacy of civil society public interests and watchdog role on public sector compliance with tasks relevant for civil society development broadened
- Active citizenship fostered (more CSOs members and volunteers, etc.)
- Partnership and networking expanded
- Improved legal framework, including prospects for public and alternative financing, for NGOs extended
- Shape, promote and launch a call for proposals
- Coach the development of bankable project proposals by Bulgarian NGOs
- Organise and conduct assessment of project proposals and award/contract grant assistance to the respective Bulgarian NGOs
- Support and manage a portfolio of about 30 projects (15 small and 15 large one)
- Secure steering, monitoring and reporting on the financed projects
- Organise for the auditing and evaluation of the intervention
- 23 projects focusing on the provision of community-based social services and 12 projects addressing environmental issues completed.
- 60% of the projects were implemented outside the capital city making a contribution to the reduction of territorial disparities.
- At least 94% of the supported NGOs (47 in total) have reported enhanced organisational capacities (e.g. management capacities, financial stability, operational expertise, communication and networking skills).
- At least 52% of the supported NGOs active in the provision of social services and at least 84% of the supported environmental NGOs have reported a growth of the share of services provided thanks to their improved, new or expanded services.
- Increased abilities of NGOs to communicate with citizens: at least 7 projects contributed to mobilize communities to participate in the local environmental agenda; at least 65% of the social projects have raised awareness of the public on the role of the NGOs in the provision of social services for various target groups.
- Improvement of the national legislation has been pursued by 35% of the supported projects within the environmental and social domains.
- Nearly 95% of the supported NGOs have reported improved credibility and partnership with central and local authorities leading to better opportunities to cooperate. This was measured by increased expert involvement in working groups or consultancy related to decision-making, municipalities lobbying for state financing of newly developed services by NGOs.
- 37% of the supported NGOs being member based increased their membership.
At present the civil society in Bulgaria includes different types of structures and set-ups - associations, movements, societies, semi-scientific institutes, think-tank centers, clubs of interests, committees, communities, councils, unions, federations, foundations, forums, traditional community centres called “chitalishta” etc. According to independent reports, the CSO sector in Bulgaria suffers from an overall deterioration of its sustainability in the last 4 years as a result of the economic crisis.
The main objectives of the TF CSP are i) to promote civil society's involvement in social and environmental sectors as an important development actor; and ii) to further strengthen the NGOs sector in Bulgaria
The main objectives of the sub-projects include (non cumulative):
Result-oriented involvement of NGOs in policy and decision-making processes at municipal and national level.
Bulgarian Civil Society Sector
Schweizer Beitrag an die erweiterte EU
|Budget||Laufende Phase Schweizer Beitrag CHF 3’000’000 Bereits ausgegebenes Schweizer Budget CHF 1’021 Budget inklusive Projektpartner CHF 3’333’330|
Phase 3 01.09.2012 - 31.08.2017 (Completed)Phase 2 01.08.2012 - 31.12.2017 (Completed)