Registration of Birth
In order to register the birth of a child of a married couple of whom at least one is Swiss, the following document is required:
- Original of full birth certificate (photocpies or short versions of birth certificates not mentioning the parent's names cannot be accepted)
In order to register the birth of a child of a Swiss parent who is not married to the foreign spouse but he/she has acknowledged the child, the fallowing additional documents habe to be presented by the foreign spouse:
- Original of full birth certificate
- Original of certificate of residence or affidavit
- Original of certificate of civil status
- Original of certificate of citizenship
- If applicable: original of divorce decree and marriage certificate mentioning the dissolution of the marriage (in English), or death certificate of former spouse.
- Photocopy of passport
All certificates of civil status issued in Malta habe to be rpovided with an Apostille from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Valletta.
All documents cannot be older than six months.
All original documents (photocopies cannot be accepted)
Most of the certificates of civil status can be ordered online under the link of the Ministry for home affairs, public registry: