Marriage and registered partnership

To register either a marriage or a partnership in Switzerland or abroad, your main point of reference is the registry office in which you have decided to celebrate the marriage or conclude your partnership. It is normally this office that decides what documents are required to mark this civil status event.

List of registry offices in Switzerland (de, fr, it)

Registration of Marriage celebrated in Malta

Marriages concluded in MALTA are recognized in Switzerland unter the condition that there is no impediment to marriage under Swiss law.

In order that your marriage may be registered with the relevant civil authorities in Switzerland, the documents listed below are required following the marriage ceremony (photocopies cannot be accepted):

  • Full marriage certificate (certified copy of an entry of marriage)
  • Original of full birth certificate of the foreign spouse (short versions of birth certificates which do not mention the parent's names cannot be accepted).
  • If the foreign spouse has been married before, the documents concerning the dissolution of the former marriage, i.e. original of death certificate or original of divorce decree (please indicate former spouse's unmarried name) and original of marriage certificate mentioning the dissolution of marriage (in English)
  • Original of certificate of civil status
  • Original of certificate of residence or affidavit
  • Original of certificate of citizenship
  • Photocopy of the foreign spouse's passport 

Please note:

All certificates of civil status issued in Malta have to be provided with an Apostille from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Valletta.

All documents cannot be older than six months.

All documents need to be handed in in original (photocopies cannot be accepted)

Most of the certificates of civil status can be ordered online under the link of the Ministry for home affairs, public registry:

Certificates of civil status

You are advised nonetheless to learn in advance about the formalities involved and the civil status documents that may have to be prepared prior to the celebration of a civil status event. These advance steps will facilitate matters when it comes to entering your marriage or registered partnership in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar). To register in the register Infostar, the documents listed on this webpage are to be submitted to the Swiss representation competent for the country where the celebration has taken place.

If you plan to take up residence in Switzerland after marrying or registering a partnership, bear in mind that your foreign spouse or partner will need a residence permit and may require an entry visa. Please consult the Visa – Entry to and Residence in Switzerland section regarding an application to enter Switzerland for the purpose of family reunification.

If you are registered with a Swiss representation and have married or entered into a registered partnership in Switzerland you will need to report your change in civil status to the representation concerned so that the register of the Swiss Abroad can be updated. This will require submission of the following documents (as hard copy or in electronic form):

  • photocopy of the Swiss marriage certificate, Swiss family record or Swiss registered partnership document;
  • photocopy of the identity document of the foreign spouse or partner.

There is no fee for the registration in question.

If prior to the marriage or registered partnership your Swiss spouse or partner was not resident in the consular district of the Swiss representation, and plans to take up residence with you following the said civil status event, he or she will have to register in accordance with the application procedure described under the heading “Registration and change of address”.