Visa / entering Switzerland

I have a Swedish „uppehållstillstand“ in my passport. Do I need a visa to enter Switzerland?

If certain conditions are met, you can enter Switzerland. You can find detailed information on this topic on the following webpage:

  • Visas for persons living in Sweden

Do I need an extra visa in order to travel to Switzerland if I am already in possession of a valid Schengen visa?

Since December 12th, 2008 Switzerland is part of the Schengen area. Therefore with a valid Schengen visa, issued by another country of the Schengen area, you can also enter Switzerland.

Which documents do I need as a Swedish citizen to enter Switzerland?

As a Swedish citizen you need a valid national passport or a official national ID-Card issued by the Swedish police. You do not require a visa.

Can I enter Switzerland with a temporary Swedish passport?

Yes. The only condition is that the passport is valid.

Can I enter Switzerland with a national Swedish ID-Card?

Yes, you may do so with the official national ID-Card issued by the Swedish police.

Swedish citizens (EU/EFTA-citizens) moving to Switzerland

I am Swedish and I want to work in Switzerland. How do I proceed?

Swedish as well as EU and EFTA citizens can travel to Switzerland freely. Once there, you have up to three months to find a job. As soon as you sign a contract of employment bring it to the commune where you would like to live and present it together with your passport.

I am a Swedish /EU / EFTA citizen and plan to move to Switzerland. What should I consider?

I am a doctor from the EU and would like to work in Switzerland, what should I consider?

Do Swedish citizens need a residence permit to stay less than 3 months in Switzerland?

No, you can stay up to three months in Switzerland without any permit.

How will I be taxed once I take up residence and start working in Switzerland? 

As long as you do not have a permit “C” (longtime residence) your employer has to deduct taxes directly from your salary. The level of taxation varies depending on the canton where you work and the community where you live. The attached link about living and working in Switzerland will provide you with more detailed information:

How can I be insured against illness and accident in Switzerland?

The basic insurance is compulsory for all persons with residence in Switzerland and covers all basic health benefits. It covers the medical services that are provided in the canton of residence of the insuree. Except for certain cases, dental treatments are not covered by the basic insurance. The benefits of the basic insurance are covered by private health insurances and are all identical. The Health Insurance Law (KVG) defines this compulsory insurance.

I am a retired Swedish /EU / EFTA citizen and would like to live in Switzerland. What do I have to do?

A residence permit will be issued by the canton where you intend to live, f you have enough financial resources for yourself and your acompanying family members to ensure that you will not have to claim social assistance in Switzerland.

I am a Swedish /EU / EFTA citizen and would like to study in Switzerland. Do I need a permit?

You must show that you have health insurance and sufficient financial resources to finance your stay in Switzerland. You must also show that the principal reason for your coming to Switzerland is to study at a recognised Swiss educational establishment, and that you are a registered student there. Please contact the municipal administration of where you intend to live.

Studying in Switzerland or Sweden

Which scholarships can I apply for?

The Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars and Artists are no longer available for swedish citizens.

The current offer is only valid for students from a limited number of countries and the applications are managed directly by the Swiss Embassies in those countries. Please visit the homepage of the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS) for more information. (Link below.)

The State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation also issues a warning against fake Swiss Federal Government Scholarships advertised by e-mail. The FCS never advertises its scholarships by e-mail and recommends to never answer these e-mails and above all not to send any money.

If you are a Swiss citizen, you may be able to obtain financial support through your municipality of origin (Heimatort).

What qualifications/language skills do I need when applying to a Swiss University?

This may vary depending on university. Please visit the homepage of the Rectors Conference of the Swiss Universities.

I want to learn Swedish. Where can I find more information?

There are several alternatives: If you are an immigrant/refugee, you should contact your local municipality authority (“kommun”) which organises courses for immigrants free of charge (“Svenska För Invandrare”). There are also other schools/institutions (“bildningsförbund”) where you can study Swedish.

I want to work as a volunteer/trainee in Sweden. Where do I find more information?

Please visit the homepage of the Swedish Public Employment Service or the homepage of the Swedish Embassy in Switzerland.


I want to travel to Switzerland to spend my holidays. Where do I find more information?

You can find detailed information on this topic on the following website:

How can I find out about flight connections to Switzerland?

You can find flight connections to Switzerland including prices on Swiss and SAS websites. To find more alternatives contact your local travelagent.

Where can I find the timetable for the public transport in Switzerland?

Prices and time tables can be found on the website of the Swiss Federal Railways SBB:

To buy special Swiss train tickets in Sweden, which are only valid for tourists, please contact: SJ International Sales:

How can I obtain information on hotels in Switzerland?

You can find detailed information on this topic on the following web site:

Is there a Swiss tourist office in Sweden?

There is no Swiss tourist office in Sweden. However, if you need tourist information or if you want brochures sent to you, you can call: 00800 100 200 30 (local phone call rate) where a Swedish-speaking person will assist you.

Alternatively, you may look at Switzerland Tourism’s website:

Am I allowed to drive with spiked tyres in Switzerland?

You are allowed to drive around with spikes between 1 November and 30 April of a given year. However, your car will require a sticker on the back indicating that you are using tyres with spikes. Moreover, the maximum speed for cars with spikes is 80km/h and you are not allowed to drive on freeways/highways.

Swedish laws regarding winter tyres

Where can I buy the sticker (“Vignette”) required to drive on highways in Switzerland and how much does it cost?

The sticker is required for all cars driving on swiss highways / motorways but not necessary if you only use the regular roads. It is valid for a given calendar year can be bought at border checkpoints when entering Switzerland, at the offices of the Swiss automobile service clubs ACS and TCS in Switzerland, as well as at police stations and many post offices and gas stations in Switzerland. Its price is SFr. 40. The drivers of cars identified by the police as driving on highways / motorways without a clearly visible sticker are fined SFr. 100 and required to buy a sticker.

As a foreign driver in Switzerland, do I have to mount “snow chains” on roads that require such chains to be mounted, and if so, do I have to mount chains on all four wheels?

Even if your car has an active four-wheel-drive, at least two driven wheels must be equipped with snow chains. The drivers of cars identified by the police as driving without snow chains are fined SFr. 100 and required to buy a chains if you don’t have them with you.

Do I have to equip my car with winter tires?

It is not mandatory to do so but it is highly recommended to have your car equipped with winter tires between November and April. Your liability might increase should you be involved in a snow induced accident with a car not equipped with winter tires.

How wide may my caravan be for Swiss roads?

The width of a car or a caravan may not exceed 2.55 meters on Swiss roads.


Which is the maximum value amount of gifts/presents that I can import into Switzerland as a tourist without paying duty?

Which rules apply with regard to the import of meat, tobacco and medical goods into Switzerland?

It is allowed to import medicine for personal use during the stay in Switzerland. If you need a prescription from a doctor, please take it along. For special requests refer to:

What rules do I have to observe if I want to bring pet animals into Switzerland?

Where can I get more general information regarding customs’ formalities for Switzerland?

Commerce / Trade

How do I establish a company in Switzerland ?

You can find detailed information on this topic on the following website:

  • Gruenden.ch

    This link provides general explanation on how to establish a company in the canton of Zürich. This corresponds in many was to the procedures in the other cantons. However, if you plan to establish a company in any canton in Switzerland, we recommend to do so with the support of professional advice.

Information platform regarding working- and salary conditions in Switzerland and in the Swiss Cantons.

How can I get information on the Swiss banking and finance system?

Is the bank secrecy still valid in Switzerland? How does it work?

I am planning to move to Switzerland. How can I find out more about the Swiss taxation system with regard to individuals and companies?

General matters

My grandmother, who lives in Switzerland died recently. Where will the heritage be administrated?

I possess old Swiss bank notes. Where can I find out, if they can still be used?

You can find detailed information on this topic on the following website:

I want to do a school project about Switzerland. Where do I find more information?

I want to know more about the upcoming cultural events of the Swiss Embassy in Sweden. How can I go about?

To get this information please send an e-mail with your request to: sto.vertretung@eda.admin.ch