Marriage and registered partnership

To register either a marriage or a partnership in Switzerland or abroad, your main point of reference is the registry office in which you have decided to celebrate the marriage or conclude your partnership. It is normally this office that decides what documents are required to mark this civil status event.

List of registry offices in Switzerland (de, fr, it)

You are advised nonetheless to learn in advance about the formalities involved and the civil status documents that may have to be prepared prior to the celebration of a civil status event. These advance steps will facilitate matters when it comes to entering your marriage or registered partnership in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar). To register in the register Infostar, the documents listed on this webpage are to be submitted to the Swiss representation competent for the country where the celebration has taken place.

Marriage Procedures

The Embassy of Switzerland provides information to Azeri nationals regarding the procedure of marriage (including family reunification to Switzerland) to a Swiss citizen or foreign citizen residing in Switzerland.

The following cases are explained in detail in the information sheets which can be downloaded:

  • Marriage in Azerbaijan to a Swiss citizen or foreign citizen living in Switzerland & Family reunification to Switzerland after the marriage
  • Marriage and consequent family reunification in Switzerland to a Swiss citizen or foreign citizen living in Switzerland

Please note that the Embassy forwards the complete applications and civil status documents to the competent authorities in Switzerland for further examination. The Embassy does not make decisions regarding civil status matters and residence permits (visa D). Therefore, a waiting time of 8 - 10 weeks must be calculated.

If you need additional information or have questions regarding the procedure, do not hesitate to get in touch with the Embassy of Switzerland in the Republic of Azerbaijan.

Marriage in Switzerland (EN) (PDF, 135.7 kB, English)

Marriage in Switzerland (DE) (PDF, 126.8 kB, German)

If you plan to take up residence in Switzerland after marrying or registering a partnership, bear in mind that your foreign spouse or partner will need a residence permit and may require an entry visa. Please consult the Visa – Entry to and Residence in Switzerland section regarding an application to enter Switzerland for the purpose of family reunification.

If you are registered with a Swiss representation and have married or entered into a registered partnership in Switzerland you will need to report your change in civil status to the representation concerned so that the register of the Swiss Abroad can be updated. This will require submission of the following documents (as hard copy or in electronic form):

  • photocopy of the Swiss marriage certificate, Swiss family record or Swiss registered partnership document;
  • photocopy of the identity document of the foreign spouse or partner.

There is no fee for the registration in question.

If prior to the marriage or registered partnership your Swiss spouse or partner was not resident in the consular district of the Swiss representation, and plans to take up residence with you following the said civil status event, he or she will have to register in accordance with the application procedure described under the heading “Registration and change of address”.