Loss or theft

The loss or theft of a Swiss ID document abroad must be reported as soon as possible to the local police as well as to the relevant Swiss representation.

A police report (declaration of loss) is also required to make it possible to prepare a new identity document, such as a temporary passport. Some countries may require such a document in order to leave their territory. It can also be useful when seeking reimbursement from an insurance company.

Swiss passports/identity cards which have been reported lost or stolen to a Swiss representation are entered in a Federal Office of Police (fedpol) file, and if subsequently recovered must not be used in an ID check or for travel, to avoid future difficulties. They are to be quickly returned to a Swiss authority for destruction.

In case of loss of your Swiss Passport we can help you and issue a new travel document:

1. -> new Passport 10 (biometric Passport) -> apply

At least 2 weeks are needed to get the new Passport with 10 years validity

2. -> emergency travel document for direct return to Switzerland -> call the Embassy

Immediate issue of document at the Embassy is possible

3. -> emergency Passport in case you are short in time and need to travel further -> call the Embassy

Immediate issue of Passport at the Embassy with limited validity is possible

Please bring the following documents:

  • Police report (1 original, 1 photocopy)
  • 2 passport pictures (not needed for document 1)
  • Passport copy with Indian Visa
  • Flight details
  • Fees in INR

Important note: in any case you will need to obtain an exit Visa. The Embassy can help you in issuing a recommendation letter for the FRRO (Foreigner’s Regional Registration Office). Please refer to the following address and be aware of the opening times:

Foreigner’s Regional Registration Office

East Block VIII, Level – II, Sector – I

R.K. Puram, New Delhi - 110 066

Tel: 91 11 2610 7940, 2610 7949

Opening hours FRRO: Monday – Friday, 0930hrs – 1500hrs