U.S. Survivor Benefits

Family members of the deceased worker can apply for survivor benefits

Required documents and forms for spouse/children’s benefits

  • Deceased worker's cancelled U.S. passport and U.S. Certificate of Naturalization.
  • Original U.S. Death Certificate (if the deceased has never been issued a U.S. death certificate, the family must apply for the death certificate before applying for the benefits. For applying for a U.S. death certificate please refer to the Death Registraion page).
  • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. Birth Certificate or CRBA (Consular Report of Birth Abroad) of the applying family members (if available).
  • If the deceased and the spouse got married in Iran, the original Iranian Marriage Certificate officially translated in English and certified by the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs is required.
  • If the deceased and the spouse got married in the U.S., only the original U.S. marriage certificate is required.
  • Form SSA-10 "Application for Widow's or widower's Insurance Benefits”
  • Form SSA-21 "Supplement to Claim of Person outside the United States"

Please note

The personal presence of the applicant (s) is mandatory, minors have to be accompanied by at least one parent

Applicants can submit the mentioned documents, by appointment only. Appointments can be scheduled by phone or physical presence

Only complete applications can be accepted and further processed without any exceptions. Incomplete files will be refused and are subject to new appointment.

Requested forms should be duly signed and dated during your visit at this office.

Additional forms or documents may be required depending on your case.

For more information please visit the website of the Social Security Administration.