You wish to report the birth of a child.

Online desk

There are certain rules governing the granting of Swiss nationality to a child. The following qualify as Swiss at birth (SCA; CC 141.0):

  • the child of a married couple at least one of whom is Swiss.
  • the child of a Swiss woman who is not married to the child’s father.
  • a foreign child in its minority (born after 1 January 2006) whose Swiss father is not married to the foreign mother acquires Swiss nationality as if from birth once paternity has been confirmed.

Birth abroad

Registration in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar) of a birth which has occurred abroad requires submission of the documents listed on this webpage to the Swiss representation competent for the country in which the birth has taken place.

There is no fee for the registration in question.

Birth in Switzerland

In the case of a birth in Switzerland, parents registered with a Swiss representation abroad are under an obligation to report the birth of the child. They must submit the following document (as hard copy or in electronic form) to enable the representation to update its register of the Swiss Abroad:

  • photocopy of the birth certificate of the newborn Swiss infant or of the Swiss family certificate

There is no fee for the registration in question.

Swiss identity documents and foreign residence permit

A regular Swiss identity document can only be issued once the birth of the child has been registered in the Swiss civil status register, or rather once the child’s Swiss nationality has been confirmed. In urgent cases, please contact the competent Swiss representation.

Passport and identity card

Regarding the foreign residence permit for the child, please refer to the competent foreign authority.

Authorisation to enter and take residence in Switzerland for foreign children (family reunification)

For foreign children who are joining their parents residing in Switzerland, please refer to the information on the following webpage:

National visa for a stay of more than 90 days

In case of birth

Please present the following documents to the Regional Consular Centre in London:

  • Original birth certificates of your children (copies or short versions not mentioning the parents’ names cannot be accepted), issued within the last 6 months.
  • If the parents are not married, please also submit an original birth certificate of the foreign father/mother of the child (issued within the last 6 months), the relevant documents of civil status if applicable (e.g. divorce decree, marriage certificate etc.), a copy of the passport of the foreign father/mother of the child as proof of nationality and the completed questionnaire:  Questionnaire for unmarried parents (PDF, 137.9 kB) (pdf, 134 Kb)
  • If the foreign parent is single an affidavit stating the marital status, the nationality and the address will be required. The document must be signed by a notary or a solicitor and then authenticated by the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs by Apostille.

Failure to register children before the age of 22 will lead to the loss of their Swiss citizen­ship.

Delays in the registration of the birth of a child can cause inconvenience in the issuing of Swiss documents.