Studying in Switzerland

In order to be able to study in Switzerland you require a proof of acceptance from the education institution where you will be studying. Depending on your nationality, with this letter you can either apply for a residence permit in a Swiss canton or submit a visa application to the Swiss representation covering your country of residence.

Image of students at the Rolex Learning Centre library in Lausanne
Students at the Rolex Learning Centre library, Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne. © FDFA, Presence Switzerland

If you are a Mexican citizen and wish to study in Switzerland, you must meet the following requirements:

The Embassy of Switzerland does not issue translations or apostille translations.

Recognition of Mexican diplomas and degrees in Switzerland

In order to start a training or study program in Switzerland, it is important to know if the Mexican diploma(s) is/are recognized in Switzerland.

In Switzerland, there is no central office for the validation and recognition of foreign diplomas. Here are some contacts of competent offices for the different courses/fields:

  • Baccalaureate diplomas: you will find an indicative list of diplomas recognized by the universities and universities of applied sciences on the Swissuniversities website
  • Vocational training and higher education with practical skills: You will find information on foreign diplomas comparable to the federal certificate of competence (basic training), the vocational maturity certificate, the diploma of a university of applied sciences, etc. on the SEFRI website.
  • University diplomas in the health professions: Federal Office of Public Health – FOPH
  • Teaching professions: Swiss Conference of Cantonal Ministers of Education – EDK
  • Other university degrees: Swissuniversities

Internships or summer programs

Several Swiss universities or research centers offer internships, summer programs or research programs such as (non-exhaustive list, no guarantee)

Careers at CERN

EPFL – Excellence Research Internship Program

ETH Student Summer Research Fellowship

Summer schools of the University of St. Gallen

Geneva Summer Schools

Schools in Switzerland

If you are looking for a school for your children or if you want to send them to Switzerland for the summer vacations, the Swiss Federation of Private Schools offers you more information about its offer.

State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation SERI (fr)

Network of Swiss schools abroad SwissEducation (fr)

Apply for Admission

Contact the school or university of your choice prior to the admission deadline. Most of the universities also accept online applications. The main documents that you will have to send to the university are your upper secondary school-leaving certificate (the original or a notarized copy) and an up-to-date passport photograph. 

Studying in Switzerland

Entry/Visa and Residence Permit

Within 14 days of entering Switzerland, EU/EFTA citizens must register with the local authority (Einwohnerkontrolle, Residents’ Registration Office) at the place of residence and apply for a residence permit.

You will need to present the following documents:

  • Personal application for residence permit
  • Valid passport or identity card
  • Proof of registration at the university
  • Evidence of sufficient funds (e.g. certificate or certified document of a bank authorised in Switzerland)
  • Proof of address at place of residence
  • 2 passport photographs

Other foreign national students - other than EU/EFTA nationals - must contact the Swiss embassy or consulate in their own country and apply for a visa. If the responsible immigration or police authorities approve the application, the requirements for entry into Switzerland and for residence for the purpose of study are met. Further information at the Federal Office of Migration.

Foreign nationals who are not EU/EFTA citizens and who do not require a visa should consult the Swiss embassy or consulate in their country for the current entry and residence requirements and formalities.


Through the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS), the Swiss Confederation awards various post-graduate scholarships to foreign scholars of all disciplines and to some foreign artists.

Scholarships for Foreign Students