The Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) is Switzerland’s international cooperation agency within the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA). SDC is responsible for the overall coordination of development activities, as well as for the humanitarian aid delivered by the Swiss Confederation.
The SDC's activities in the Great Lakes region cover four priority themes: access to basic services for the population (health care, hygiene), the development of a local economy that creates jobs and incomes, the protection of civilians and the strengthening of democratic processes. The SDC coordinates its actions in Rwanda, Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo with a regional strategy. The head office is located in Kigali, Rwanda.
As part of the development of its Regional Program and starting from April/May 2018, based in Kigali, the SDC is looking for:
A National Governance Program Officer
The SDC is committed to promoting participation, transparency and accountability, equal treatment and non-discrimination, as well as to ensuring the effectiveness of its own activities and those of its partners. In general, the objective is to create an environment that strengthens rule of law and human rights, gender equality, appropriate distribution of power and macro-economic stability.
Given the crucial importance of governance, the SDC has made it a cross-cutting theme in all its activities. Governance thus reinforces the supporting measures provided by cooperation in its various areas of involvement, both in development and in humanitarian aid.
The National Governance Program Officer (NPO) will be under the supervision of the Regional Head of Cooperation.
- Conceptualization, planning, implementation and monitoring of Governance commitments (accountability, civil society, social cohesion, access to justice);
- Regional Media Program: Conceptualization, operational and strategic follow up for Rwanda (context analysis, monitoring and maintenance of a network);
- Coordination and dialogue with implementing and development partners;
- Methodological, conceptual and technical support to implementing partners;
- Together with the SDC regional team, active contribution to regional processes and knowledge management (Burundi, DRC, Rwanda).
Thematic responsibilities :
- Active participation to the implementation of gender objectives and to the integration of gender into SDC programs;
- Ensure transversal integration of the Governance dimension in all SDC programs;
- Governance Focal Point for the Regional Program in Rwanda, and member of the Regional Governance Team.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- University Degree or equivalent in Law, International relations, Political or Social Sciences or related fields.
- Working experience in international development cooperation;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in governance or Media practice.
- Fluency in French, English and Kinyarwanda is required. Knowledge of Swahili is an added advantage.
- Good working knowledge of the civil society and media sector in Rwanda, including related national policies;
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills in written and oral English and French;
- Good knowledge of planning, monitoring and evaluation tools for cooperation programs and projects;
- Good capacities for adaptation and communication skills, ability to work in a regional and multicultural team;
- Capacities for initiative and autonomy;
- Good computer skills, Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook)
- Interest and availability to carry out field trips in Rwanda, Burundi and the DRC (South Kivu Province).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a written exam to confirm their technical, linguistic and editorial skills.
Duty Station: Kigali with field visit in the great lakes’ region (Burundi and south-Kivu)
Occupancy rate: 100%
Estimated Start Date: From April/May 2018
Supporting documents to be sent:
- Motivation letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Copies of diplomas
- Working certificates
- Three reference persons with their contacts (phone number and email).
- 1 recent passport photo
Swiss Embassy, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation
KN 3 AV, B.P 597 Kigali
Or via e-mail to: email@example.com , the subject of your e-mail MUST indicate the Position title.
Application Deadline: 14 March 2018
Applications will be treated confidentially. Those whose file are incomplete or have reached SDC after the application deadline will not be taken into consideration. Only those who meet the required profile and who have followed the application procedures will be contacted.
Female candidacies are highly encouraged.