Visa – Entry to and residence in Switzerland

Who can enter Switzerland starting 15.06.2020?

-Swiss citizens, EU/EFTA and UK nationals 
-Spouses and descendants (of the said national or spouse) under the age of 21 of Swiss citizens, EU/EFTA and UK nationals, irrespective of their nationality (*) “Who can enter Switzerland from non-Schengen states?”;
-Holders of a Swiss resident permit L / B / C / Ci;
-Holders of a national visa type D issued by Switzerland;
-as well as persons fulfilling one of the requirements mentioned by the State Secretariat for Migration SEM under the topic Who is still allowed to enter Switzerland?

(*) You must be able to prove that you meet the abovementioned requirement. Suitable documentary proof must be produced at the border.

Please note that the airlines themselves decide on the conditions on which they carry passengers. Please ask the airline concerned about the conditions that they apply.

Further information are available in the FAQ.


Various regulations apply for entering Switzerland. A basic distinction is made between citizens of the European Union (EU) and European Free Trade Association (EFTA) countries and those of other countries. The State Secretariat for Migration (SEM) is the responsible authority in Switzerland.


Since Switzerland’s adherence to the Schengen and Dublin agreements came into force (12 December 2008), Swiss representations abroad are able to issue certain categories of visa, depending on the length of stay and purpose of the journey in Switzerland. Please select one of the following options.

Schengen visa for a stay of up to 90 days

For persons wishing to enter Switzerland for a short stay of up to 90 days within a 180-day period: for example, in a context of tourism, a visit to relatives or friends, short-term language studies, participating in a conference or in sporting/cultural events, etc.

National visa for a stay of more than 90 days

For persons wishing to enter Switzerland for a stay of more than 90 days within a 180-day period. It is subject to the authorisation of the cantonal migration authority competent for the intended place of residence. For example: long-term student, family reunification, marriage in Switzerland, etc.

Airport transit visa

For citizens of certain countries who need a transit visa even if they are staying in the international transit area of the airport and do not enter the Schengen territory.

Labour / Work permits

Admission of foreign workers to an employer in Switzerland is subject to the authorisation of the competent cantonal authority. The entry visa is granted only when the requested authorisations have been delivered.