Do I need a Schengen visa?

My nationality Obligation to hold a visa (yes/no)
United States of America No (V1)


Obligation to hold a visa with regard to exercising gainful occupation:

  • in the primary or secondary construction industry and civil engineering, catering and hotel services, industrial and private cleaners, surveillance and security services, and erotic services;
  • gainful occupation of any another kind, if such occupation exceeds 8 days within a calendar year.

Exemption to hold a visa with regard to exercising gainful occupation:

  • Holders of a longterm residence permit issued by a Schengen member state or a valid type D visa, provided they also hold a recognized travel document.

Validity of US travel documents

Regardless of their visa obligation status, US nationals wishing to enter Switzerland must be in possession of a passport that will remain valid for at least three months after the intended date of departure from Switzerland; and has been issued within the previous 10 years.

Other nationalities

For other nationalities, please refer to the list on the webpage of the State Secretariat for Migration (SEM).

SEM – Overview of ID and visa provisions according to the nationality (Annex 1, List 1: nationality)

If you are obliged to hold a visa, please apply for it and refer to the information on the webpage:

Where to apply for a Schengen visa?

If you are not obliged to hold a visa, you are allowed to enter Switzerland resp. the Schengen territory and stay up to 90 days within a 180-day period without any visa.