The Permanent Mission of Switzerland to the United Nations in New York is looking for a
Social Media and Communication Manager (100%)
Starting date: immediate (or upon agreement)
The Permanent Mission of Switzerland to the UN in New York promotes Switzerland’s interests at the UN Headquarters, in line with the country’s foreign policy goals. Under the political direction of the Swiss government, the Mission participates in the work of the UN’s principal organs (General Assembly, Security Council and Economic and Social Council). Furthermore, Switzerland is a candidate for a seat on the Security Council in 2023 and 2024.
The Mission is looking to recruit an experienced, dynamic and highly motivated person as Social Media and Communication Manager.
The successful candidate will support Switzerland’s public diplomacy efforts through managing the Mission’s social media presence, the Mission’s Website, assisting the team, and supporting and managing overall communications. Additional duties beyond those listed here will be determined and assigned as needed.
Our ideal candidate has a strong background and professional experience in communications and is a digital native with full competencies navigating and managing social media platforms. The candidate is proactive, creative, has an outgoing personality and a strong command of the English language. He or she also speaks at least one official language of Switzerland. The candidate has a passion for international affairs, and a good understanding of Switzerland’s foreign policy. The person will be able to multitask between several duties at once and can work under pressure independently or in a team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Pro-actively creating and curating a wide range of digital communication tools and initiatives;
- Responsibility for various social media platforms including the Mission’s website related with Switzerland’s work at the UN and with Switzerland’s candidacy for a seat on the Security Council, under the guidance of the Head of mission and Head of communication;
- Analyzing the success of the Mission’s communication activities and regularly reporting on the progress;
- Preparing the Mission’s weekly outlook for social media activities;
- Filming and editing video content for social media, using tools such as iMovie and Adobe Premiere;
- Creating graphic design elements for social media, using tools like Canva and Photoshop;
- Creating event invitations in Eventbrite and email campaigns in Mailchimp;
- Managing the technical set-up at events;
- Training others on the use of social media and digital tools for public diplomacy;
- Supporting the team with overall communication duties and perform other tasks as needed.
- A university degree in communications or a related field such as public relations, marketing, political or social sciences;
- Previous working experiences in communications with a focus on social media, ideally in the United Nations system, in international organizations, in a foreign representation or Ministry dealing with foreign affairs;
- Digital native with professional experience in social media and content creation in a digitally focused environment;
- Strong competencies navigating Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and others for content sharing and analytics
- Full computer literacy with Microsoft Office, tech savvy and good skills with technical equipment;
- Fluency in written and spoken English (ideally a native English speaker);
- Working knowledge in at least one of the official languages of Switzerland (German, French, Italian);
- Interest in Swiss culture (exposure to working in Switzerland or Europe advantageous).
- Inviting work atmosphere in a multilingual setting, team of about 40 employees;
- Diversified work in a foreign representation and diplomatic environment;
- Opportunity to participate in shaping the communication strategy and appearance of Switzerland in NY;
- Office conveniently located in midtown Manhattan;
- Competitive salary and benefits package;100%
matching in 401 k plan;
- Paid vacation, American and some Swiss holidays.
Please send your resume, a letter of interest and salary expectations no later than October 2, 2020 in electronic format (word or pdf) to email@example.com. Please write in the subject line “Social Media and Communication Manager” to ensure timely processing of your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please do not contact the Permanent Mission of Switzerland. Only those who are chosen for an interview will be contacted.
For job openings in other Swiss representations in the United States, please visit the following website.