National Program Officer (NPO)
Duty station Tbilisi, Georgia
Work time 100%
Supervisor Senior National Program Officer
Beginning of employment Mid-January/February 2024
The Swiss Cooperation Office for the South Caucasus (SCO) consists of three international cooperation teams integrated in the Embassies of Switzerland in Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia. The SCO is responsible for coordinating the Swiss development cooperation in the South Caucasus, in particular of projects funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) and the State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO).
The Swiss Cooperation Program for the South Caucasus 2022-2025 focuses on a limited but important number of development themes: governance & peace, economic development, and environment & climate change. In these areas, the Swiss Program encourages initiatives, which both engage the region as a whole or create or strengthen linkages among the three countries of the South Caucasus. In addition, the Program intends to treat gender, good governance, migration and environment as mainstream topics throughout the portfolio.
The SCO is now looking for a National Program Officer (NPO) starting in January/February 2024 to complement its team based in Tbilisi and oversee the projects supporting technical cooperation.
Employment, corresponding to 100% work time, is in the form of an annual renewable contract and is subject to good performance during a three months’ probation period.
Tasks of the National Program Officer
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Senior National Program Officer (SNPO) of the economic development program, the incumbent will primarily steer and supervise projects supporting the development of agricultural value chains, and rural small and medium enterprise access to services and finance. S/He will have the following main tasks and responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development of the Economic Development portfolio of the SCO in Georgia, including assistance in the identification, structuring and planning of new projects in rural areas;
- Contribute to the strategic discussion of the Swiss regional development program in the South Caucasus, particularly in the domain Economic Development;
- Source relevant data for the context monitoring of and reporting on economic development in Georgia;
- Supervise, monitor and report on the implementation of the assigned projects;
- Enforce quality standards in the drafting of project documents, logframes and budget;
- Foster exchange of information and experience, as well as consultation among projects’ stakeholders;
- Contribute to SDC’s policy dialogue with the Government of Georgia on rural development and rural financing;
- Cooperate with SDC’s National Programme Officers in conducting the assessment of the programme effectiveness and efficiency;
- Support SDC staff and implementing partners in coordinating programme interventions with SDC’s and other donors’ initiatives in Georgia;
- Review and comment operational and financial reports of the implementing partners;
- Ensure adequate filing and archiving of project-related documents and support knowledge management
- Undertake other related tasks supporting achievement of strategic and operational objectives of the SCO, increasing competency action in sectors of SCO engagement.
The assignment implies close team work within the Swiss Cooperation Office South Caucasus, regular field trips within Georgia, occasional duty travel to Armenia and Azerbaijan, and coordination with SDC headquarters.
Requested Profile and Competencies
The incumbent holds an advanced university degree in economics, business management, agriculture, or related fields.
The candidate has a minimum of 5 years working experience, including relevant experience at the national or international level with development projects, related to agriculture, rural or economic development.
The incumbent has a proven expertise in the field of agriculture, rural or economic development, project cycle management, reporting, as well as a solid understanding of the development context in Georgia. Prior experience in agricultural value chains is an advantage, as well as experience with development organizations and government agencies.
S/he is fully proficient in the use of computers and standard office and internet software applications.
The successful candidate is a strong team player and shows an enhanced degree of reliability, initiative and sound judgment, ability to complete multiple tasks timely and efficiently, ability to prioritize different assignments.
The incumbent shows a keen interest in international development issues and the development of the South Caucasus in particular.
S/he demonstrates integrity with regard to SDC’s values and ethical standards such as anti-corruption; gender equality; cultural and religious sensitivity and adaptability; and promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of SDC and of Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs.
The incumbent is fluent in Georgian and English, oral and written. Knowledge of Russian language is an asset. S/he has strong analytical skills and can express him/herself in a synthetic, concise and convincing manner.
If interested, please send your letter of motivation and up-to-date CV in English via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please write "National Program Officer" in the e-mail subject line. Kindly indicate at least two references that we may contact, as well as your availability in terms of the start date. Please note that only candidates short-listed for interviews will be notified. The closing deadline is 24th November 2023. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
Please do not contact the Swiss Cooperation Office/Swiss Embassy by telephone or in writing.