Capacity Building for Low Carbon and Climate Resilient City Development in India (CapaCITIES)
|India is rapidly urbanizing. The growing Indian cities are affected by climate change but are also important emitters of greenhouse gases. Phase 2 of CapaCITIES aims at enabling climate responsive urban planning in eight cities and two states. Swiss expertise in waste management, transport, water and climate finance will support development of solutions for low-carbon and climate resilient cities. The results of the project in India will be shared through global reporting mechanisms and city coalitions.
Klimawandel & Umwelt
Energieeinsparung & Effizienz
Einsparung von Wasserressourcen
- City and state governments integrate climate change aspects (adaptation and mitigation) into urban planning and implementation
- Enhanced capacities of city and state governments to access finance for scaled up urban climate action
- Enhanced knowledge on accelerating city climate action at the national and global level
- Simplified Climate Resilient Cities Process and assessment instruments (Basket of Solutions) are prepared
- Climate Resilient City Action Plans (CRCAP) prepared and implemented in 8 cities
- Institutionalization of the urban climate action planning process at the state level
- City level climate actions identified and prepared for financing
- Public private co-financing and other sources mobilised for financing city climate actions
- Knowledge products disseminated and reported at the national level
- Policy dialogues conducted at the national level for mainstreaming project results
- Project results and knowledge products documented, disseminated and reported at the global level
- Partner cities have access to and participate in global city networks and coalitions.
- Unique Climate Resilient Cities Action Plan (CRCAP) process and tools developed, combining adaptation and mitigation
- 3 of 4 Indian partner cities (Siliguri, Coimbatore and Rajkot) ratified the CRCAP and all cities have allocated funds from municipal budgets for climate mitigation and adaptation projects
- 15 quick wins and 4 bankable projects implemented in the project cities
- Cities are taking better informed decisions based on technical support provided on various sectors
- Ausländischer Privatsektor Norden
- Schweizerischer Privatsektor
- SDC: Building Energy Efficiency Project (BEEP), Clean Air Project India, CC&E and DRR network.
- Initiatives of international actors such as CCAC (Climate and Clean Air Coalition).
- Multi/bilateral agencies like GIZ-KfW, EU, AfD, World Bank, Asian Development Bank
|India is the fourth largest greenhouse gas emitter in the world and with the accompanying rapid urbanisation, there is an urgent need for climate action especially across its 4000 plus urban centres. The cities are facing the twin challenge of meeting their immediate needs (infrastructure, basic sanitation services, etc.), and combating the effects of climate change. The Indian Nationally Determined Contribution targets under the Paris Agreement represent a significant driver for cities to implement sustainable sectoral interventions. The Government of India’s recognition of climate change impact on cities is reflected in various policies, missions and regulations. National Missions like the Smart Cities Mission and Housing for All are undertaking actions and reforms to integrate climate change aspects, adoption of energy efficient technologies and designs. The states and the cities across India are becoming increasingly aware and showing commitment towards low emission and resilient urban development. This is definitely an opportunity for Switzerland to provide its expertise in integrated urban planning as well as in climate change adaptation and mitigation in water, waste and transport sectors.
|Lower greenhouse gas emissions growth path achieved and resilience to climate change increased in select Indian cities and states.
|The target group will include state and city authorities and their staff along with citizens of the 8 partner cities and 2 states. About 80 officials from the states and cities will be capacitated on aspects related to city action plan, climate finance etc. Approximately 6 million citizens will benefit from climate related measures and sectoral initiatives in the selected cities.
Resultate von früheren Phasen:
|Koordination mit anderen Projekten und Akteuren
|Laufende Phase Schweizer Beitrag CHF 4’900’000 Bereits ausgegebenes Schweizer Budget CHF 4’606’255
|Phase 2 16.07.2019 - 30.06.2024 (Laufende Phase) Phase 1 01.10.2014 - 31.12.2019 (Completed)