Registration and deregistration, change of address

You have chosen to live abroad. Swiss representations abroad (embassy or consulate) will be your first point of contact for all administrative matters (registration, passport, civil status, voting rights, etc.) and when you find yourself in difficulty.

You have elected residence in the consular district of the Swiss representation of this country. Regular contact between Swiss expatriates and the relevant Swiss representation can be very useful for both parties. Registration is mandatory for all Swiss citizens domiciled abroad. A register of the Swiss abroad is maintained for this purpose.

Swiss Abroad Act

On these webpages you will find information on registration of the Swiss abroad, reporting a change of address, and returning to Switzerland.

Online desk

With the online desk you have the possibility to access consular services, such as registering in the Swiss Abroad Register, notifications of changes of civil status, changes of address. 

Online desk

Regular contact between the Swiss abroad and the Swiss Embassies and Consulates presents mutual advantages.

The following persons should register with their local Swiss Representation abroad:

  • Swiss citizens who intend to stay in the consular district for more than 12 months;
  • Swiss citizens who acquire Swiss nationality by birth, naturalisation or adoption and who are already living in the consular district;

The register is intended to give an overall picture of Swiss nationals living in the consular district. Registration, which is obligatory, also provides the details required for the fulfilment of official functions, such as issuing new passports, registering births, marriages etc.

In order to register you, the following documents are needed:

  1. The form "Application for registration", completed, dated and signed by you
  2. Your Swiss passport and Identity card and, if applicable, those of your family members
  3. Your certificate of origin (Heimatschein/acte d'origine)
  4. Your Family Booklet (if possible)
  5. For those who are subject to military service obligations - the document Leave of Absence Abroad (Auslandurlaub, congé pour l'étranger)

If you are registered with a Swiss representation, you should inform that representation about the following changes:

  • Change of address/telephone number/fax number/e-mail address
  • Change in civil status (marriage, divorce, death and birth of children)
  • Acquisition or loss of any additional citizenship
  • Departure from the consular district
  • Your personal documents will be returned to you immediately after registration

The Embassy of Switzerland wishes you a pleasant stay in Kazakhstan!