They have the capacity to give voice to the underprivileged and marginalised, provide platforms for debate, and transform social realities through intercultural dialogue and exchange of ideas.
Recognising the importance of culture as driver of societal change, the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) through the Embassy of Switzerland has been supporting the independent cultural scene in North Macedonia since 2017. By launching a new call for proposals the SDC aims to encourage cultural actors and further strengthen the capacities of the cultural sector.
The applicants are free to develop project ideas on various topics. Project applications that foresee to thematise societal issues such as women’s rights, gender-based violence, youth mental health, climate change or environmental challenges are particularly welcome. Cultural organisations can apply for grants of up to CHF 50’000 to implement their proposed project.
Eligibility criteria to apply for grants:
- Not-for-profit organisation registered in North Macedonia, active in the fields of art/culture/creative industries/cultural tourism;
- Adequate organisational structures, sound financial record, and references of projects completed or under implementation if applicable;
- Planned project activities taking place mostly in North Macedonia;
- Readiness to provide financial or in-kind contribution of at least 20% of the total budget of the project.
- Cost-effective budget
- Duration of project of maximum 18 months.
Applicants need to apply in two steps:
- 1st step: Pre-selection based on a concept paper.
By 16 January 2022, applicants need to submit a 2-page description of the proposed project, including description of goal, target audience, key activities, total budget estimate, and expected dates of start and end of the project. The Embassy will review the concept papers received and inform applicants whether they are pre-selected to submit a full proposal. The 2-page concept paper can be submitted in Macedonian, Albanian, or English.
Important note: The proposed project activities should take into consideration the situation and official government measures and restrictions related to Covid-19.
- 2nd step: Final selection based on a detailed project proposal.
Based on a review of all concept papers received, the Embassy of Switzerland will pre-select applicants and request the submission within 3 weeks of detailed project proposals. The detailed proposals will need to be submitted in English. The Embassy of Switzerland will make its final selection based on the detailed project proposals.
As part of the 1st step of the application process, interested organisations are invited to send electronic copies of their 2-page concept paper until 16 January 2022 to email@example.com with the subject ‘Application for cultural project grant’.