Certified copy of diplomas issued in Switzerland

Swiss representations abroad can neither issue certified copies nor attest diplomas obtained in Switzerland unless the diploma has been authenticated by the cantonal chancellery. You must therefore contact the school or university where you did your studies to obtain the necessary copies.

The recognition of Swiss diplomas abroad is the responsibility of the host country. However, the competent authorities in Switzerland may, upon request, issue a certificate for the authority of the country concerned. The following authorities can assist you in obtaining the necessary certificates:

In the event that your situation requires your degree to be legalized by a Swiss representation in Canada, the diploma must first be authenticated by the cantonal Chancellery where the school or university is located. The Swiss representation will then be able to legalize the seal and signature of the cantonal Chancellery. 

The list of cantonal authorities competent for legalization is available on the website of the Federal Chancellery

Legalisation of the seal and the signature affixed by the cantonal Chancellery

For further details on the procedure, please contact the Swiss representation responsible for your area:

Consulate general of Switzerland in Montreal: montreal@eda.admin.ch

Consulate general of Switzerland in Vancouver: vancouver@eda.admin.ch