The Swiss Cooperation Office Amman coordinates the Swiss Cooperation Programme Middle East 2019–2022 (extended until 2024).
Swiss Cooperation Programme Middle East 2019–2022 (extended until 2024)
The overall goal of the Swiss Cooperation Programe Middle East 2019–2022 (extended until 2024) for Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey and Iraq is to contribute to protect and empower conflict-affected and vulnerable persons, to reconstruct lives, to reduce fragility, to prevent and transform violent conflicts and to generate development perspectives, to promote good governance and protect human rights, refugee laws as well as the respect of IHL.
Switzerland focuses on four domains of interventions: Protection and Migration; Education and Income; Water and Sanitation; and Conflict Prevention and Peace Promotion. The Transversal Themes are Good Governance as well as Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment. The latter will be addressed both through mainstreaming gender and a continuation of stand-alone SGBV projects. Durable solutions for displaced persons are promoted where possible in accordance with context developments. In Jordan, Switzerland aims primarily at meeting the urgent needs of refugees as well as mitigating tensions between local communities and refugees, while also addressing more generally migration related challenges. The estimated annual budget for Jordan is CHF 22 million.
For more insights on the activities under the Swiss Cooperation Programe Middle East, please refer to these stories:
- Protection: "Switzerland supports efforts to find Durable Solutions for the people of Iraq". Interview with (former) SCP ME SKH Durable Solution Secondment Marjolaine Greentree to Iraq.
- Migration: "Migration as a benefit, not a problem" Interview with Regional Advisor for Migration & Development, Simone Troller.
- Education: Building "Trust is a crucial aspect of my work" Story about the Direct Action School Rehabilitation in Jordan with an interview with SCP ME SKH Secondment Jill Schmidheiny.
- Water and Sanitation / CPPP: Water Diplomacy Center Jordan (under development) (Blue Peace).
- Water and Sanitation: "From small hands-on jobs to shaping the bigger picture", a discussion with SCP ME SKH Secondment Patrick Galli on this work as the Secondment as WASH expert to Syria.
- Water and Sanitation: "It’s not the quantity of the water, but the quality". Insights into the Direct Action Project in the Bekaa Valley with Urs Hagenau, SCP ME SKH WASH Secondment in Lebanon.