Do I need a national visa?

My nationality Obligation to hold a visa (yes/no)
Japan  no 

For Japanese citizens - Sojourn for more than 90 days consecutive

Japanese citizens do not need any visa to enter Switzerland due to the treaty concluded between Switzerland and Japan. Please refer to this link (only available in German, French and Italian).

However, you will need to apply for an assurance of authorisation of staying permit directly with the competent cantonal authority of your future place of domicile before you enter Switzerland. The contact addresses and Websites can be found on the following link.

If you are married to Swiss citizens, the procedures for obtaining a staying permit should be started after you enter Switzerland. Even so, the Embassy will recommend you to contact the competent cantonal authority to get detailed information before you leave for Switzerland.

Some cantons inform about necessary documents on their Website where the application form also can be downloaded. Please note, that sometimes it might be quicker to look for the information on the Website than to make an email inquiry.

List of addresses of cantonal and communal partners 

Other nationalities

For other nationalities, please refer to the list on the webpage of the State Secretariat for Migration (SEM).

SEM – Overview of ID and visa provisions according to the nationality (Annex 1, List 1: nationality)

If you are obliged to hold a visa, please submit your application in duplicate and refer to the information on the webpage:

Where to apply for a national visa?

If you are not obliged to hold a visa, you are allowed to enter Switzerland without visa. However you are obliged to register within 14 days on arrival in Switzerland at the competent cantonal authority of your place of residence.