ACTED Earthquake response in Chong-Alai region
To complement and complete the efforts supported by Switzerland in the immediate aftermath of earthquakes in remote Chong-Alai region in May 2017, the project's Phase 2 will provide shelter construction assistance to the remaining vulnerable earthquake-affected households that were unable to re-build their houses. The assistance will be in the form of distribution of construction materials to the remaining affected households and provision of technical assistance on affordable and replicable earthquake-safe construction techniques.
Klimawandel & Umwelt
Humanitäre Hilfe & DRR
Reduktion von Katastrophenrisiken DRR
- The remaining vulnerable earthquakeaffected households rebuilt at least one warm room; and
- The remaining vulnerable earthquakeaffected households have increased resilience to future shocks.
- 82 highly vulnerable households repaired/reconstructed their homes
- Cash for work assistance to 225 highly vulnerable households to support reconstruction
- 20 local masons and carpenters trained on earthquake-resistant construction techniques
- 14 civil servants trained on construction techniques and norms and knowledge increased by at least 70 %
- 5 awareness-raising campaigns hotd in the 5 target village to inform communities about Build Back Safer techniques
- Agency for Technical Cooperation and Development
- Schweizerischer Privatsektor
- Ministry of Emergency Situations
- District Department of Architecture
|On May 3 and 5, 2017. a 5.9-magnitude earthquake and a 5.8-magnitude earthquake occurred in northern Tajikistan followed by several aftershocks. The earthquakes reverberated in several villages in Chong-Alai district of Kyrgyzstan. with a magnitude of 4 to 6. 1'000 houses were affected by the earthquake whereof more than 600 beyond repair. In the immediate aftermath of the earthquake. SOC, Helvetas Swiss Intercooperation, the Aga Khan's Foundation and ACTED contributed to the government's earthquake response and supported the reconstruction of homes of 82 highly vulnerable households left without shelter and provided assistance to 225 highly vulnerable households to support their house repairing efforts. A Post Earthquake Humanitarian Gap Assessment" conducted in February 2018 revealed that after the immediate reconstruction efforts and assistance. there are today still 100 vulnerable households without adequate minimum shelter and who depend on external aid in order to be save in view of the upcoming winter period.
|Immediate shelter needs of all earthquake-affected vulnerable rural populations in Chong-Alai district of Kyrgyzstan are addressed white their resilience to future earthquakes is improved.
|The remaining 100 vulnerable households that have been identified and assessed during "Chong-Alai Post Earthquake Humanitarian Gap Assessment conducted in February 2018 and the community consultations held in January 2018.
|All remaining vulnerable households affected by the earthquakes in 2017 do have minimum adequate and safe shelter conditions
Resultate von früheren Phasen:
Internationale oder ausländische NGO
|Koordination mit anderen Projekten und Akteuren
|Laufende Phase Schweizer Beitrag CHF 110’000 Bereits ausgegebenes Schweizer Budget CHF 110’424
Phase 2 01.07.2018 - 31.03.2019 (Completed)Phase 1 21.06.2017 - 31.12.2017 (Completed)