The aim of the SAAR is to make Switzerland's long-standing ties to Russia better known in the country. It acknowledges and fosters the efforts of the different stakeholders to promote Swiss-Russian links throughout history. The prize is awarded annually to an institution or a person in June during the Swiss Days, organized in Moscow by the Embassy of Switzerland.
The prize consists of five elements:
- The awarded institution or person will be granted 5000 CHF for the pursuit of its activities.
- The awarded institution or person will receive an official plaque in recognition of its commendable contribution to Swiss heritage in Russia.
- The awarded institution or person will be portrayed on the website of the Embassy of Switzerland and highlighted on an interactive map indicating places of Swiss heritage in Russia.
- The awarded institution or person will receive a contribution from the Embassy of Switzerland for the realization of an event on the Swiss heritage managed by it. This might be a public conference, a presentation, a concert (in the premises of the Embassy or elsewhere) or an exhibition and should be conducted in the year after the awarding.
- The awarded institution or person and the Swiss heritage they represent will be largely promoted through the social media channels of the Embassy.
Jury and selection criteria
The award winner is selected by a jury, composed of 5 persons well-acquainted with various aspects of Swiss-Russian relations. In a first selection phase, the jury short-lists institutions or persons among the applicants. In a second phase, the jury visits the short-listed institutions. Based on the reports from these visits and the quality of the application, the jury finally selects the award-winning institution or person. The main selection criteria are:
- The willingness, ability and prospects to showcase Swiss-Russian ties in the framework of the institutions or persons activities
- The quality of the institutions or persons track record in their relevant field
- The importance of the Swiss element in this track record
- The accessibility of the public to the Swiss heritage presented
- The innovative character of their approach
All interested Russian institutions or persons that maintain a link to Swiss heritage in Russia are welcome to participate. The next selection phase
will be announced in 2021 through the social media of the Embassy and on this page.
Please note that the SAAR candidates agree to a possible visit by the members of the jury in line with the selection process.