Work permit

In order to take up gainful employment in New Zealand, you need, in addition to a valid visa and a work permit, an IRD number issued by the Inland Revenue Department to track your income and taxes. You cannot take up employment without an IRD number.

Whenever you change jobs or start a new job, you also have to complete a Tax Code Declaration Form. The income taxes automatically deducted from your salary are calculated based on the information you provide on this form.

Finding a job

The Department of Internal Affairs has a website that publishes job vacancies in the public sector.

Most private sector jobs are found through recruitment agencies, employment agencies and personnel consultants. Job applicants from outside New Zealand only have a chance if they have the qualifications and experience to match the skill shortage list. 

Recognition of educational and professional qualifications

The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) assesses European certificates and diplomas and, on request, issues a report attesting equivalency to New Zealand qualifications. Documents in languages other than English submitted to the NZQA must be translated by a translation agency or translator accredited by the New Zealand government. You can also contact the State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI) for information on this topic.

Self-employment and starting your own business

The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment provides information on self-employment and starting a business in New Zealand. Swiss citizens can also contact Switzerland Global Enterprise or the chambers of commerce for information and advice.


Innovation and Partnerships

Consular Directorate CD
Effingerstrasse 27
3003 Bern


Helpline +41 800 24-7-365 / +41 58 465 33 33

Start of page